Thursday, April 26, 2018

Final Days

I leave Cork, Ireland in about two weeks, and it's a concept I can't wrap my head around. So often we're in a place in our life, looking from a distance at a time and place that we never think we'll get to. So when you get there, and it's almost over, it's a bit shocking. Somehow, I never thought abroad would end. Four months seems like a long time in your head, but when you're busy traveling, it feels like a lot less time.
Cork has given me the chance to explore another culture that I always thought I knew a lot about. But, Cork has given me the chance to rediscover my Irish roots, and truly experience the life of the Irish. I feel more at home here than i ever have. Whenever I travel somewhere else, I always find myself excited to return to cork. To return to the familiar. Which is such a strange concept, because four months ago it was as strange as all the other countries I've been visiting, but now it's like a home.  I know the streets, the shops, the campus, how the bus works. These are all things that have made living Ireland wonderful.
Most importantly, Ireland has taught me to truly enjoy what I've been given, and to really take the time to enjoy those gifts. We are always taught to keep moving, and to move fast within America, and I know for a fact that after living in Cork for four months, I am changed. I don't move that fast anywhere, especially here. I take my time, observe things I would never take the time to see in America. The Irish celebrate life by truly living it, and I plan to take that aspect back to the states with me.
When I first arrived in Cork, I think I knew deep down that this place would change me. I wasn't sure how, but whenever I travel someplace new and stay for more than 2 months I tend to come back home as a bit of a different person. However, I've never been upset about the person I've become after leaving. I know that leaving Cork will be sad, but it's only helped shape me more into the person I want to be.
The first month of living in Cork was full of firsts. Learning how to get around, meeting new people, trying new foods, visiting new places. These were all good things, but now i've come from all of these firsts to calling Cork a home. I do all these things all the time. The people I wasn't sure I would be friends with here have become some of my closest friends. I've been able to have a wonderful experience abroad mainly because of the people i have met.
I'm a firm believe that the people make a place, and as exciting as Cork is, I know that I wouldn't have been as happy as I am now if I didn't get to experience cork and Europe with my new friends. Four months seems so short, but it's more than enough time to really get to know the people you're surrounded by. And thankfully, I did just that.
I can't bring Cork back with me, but I plan on bringing the Irish way of live back with me to America. I love the people of Ireland. They are kind, caring, and very very friendly. I wish that America was more like this, so when i go back not only will I try to slow down and observe, but I want to bring a bit more kindness into the world. Who knows, maybe someday it will affect someone the way it affected me.

No comments:

Post a Comment