Sunday, March 25, 2018

English Breakfast

You know how Americans always complain about Canadian bacon? We're always saying, It's not "real" bacon. I'm pretty sure memes even exist about it.  Well, apparently, we are the only ones who have bacon like that. Ireland had bacon that looks more like ham. And in no way does It look like the bacon I've grow used to, but it's not terrible. (American bacon is still better).
English breakfast exists in Ireland, and I honestly didn't expect Ireland to take so many concepts from England, but they do exist. English Breakfast was the very first thing I ate when I arrived in Ireland. We were tired out of our minds, and we stopped in this small hotel on the way to Cork, and were told we would have breakfast. Well, English breakfast is the only kind of breakfast that exists here. Similar to how we always have bacon, eggs, and toast out in America, the Irish always have over easy eggs, grilled tomatoes, hash browns, and ham (bacon).
It seems delicious, and tastes completely different from the food I was used to in America. The tomato combo really threw me off, but now I've grow used to It. There is also typically mushroom available or sausage. It's a wonderful combo, and something I would never think of.
I remember telling my friends, "I didn't even know you could grill tomatoes." Not that I'm an expert chief, but I thought I knew a thing or too.
Since the breakfast consists of a lot of different food, I tend to stick with the eggs, hash browns, tomatoes, mushrooms, and toast. The ham (bacon) tastes okay, but I always feel like i'm sitting down from dinner if i order It, so I tend to stay away from the bacon. It smells good, but even the taste isn't something i'm a fan off.
I like that vegetables are a part of the breakfast. It's definitely a healthier option, and something I plan on taking advantage of since I'm only here for so long. Plus, the state's don't typically serve vegetables during breakfast, which isn't surprising.
It's interesting to me to think that breakfast is different for countries around the world, and the English breakfast is just a staple here. All of my friends have becomes huge fans, and although I really like it I still prefer an American breakfast. I just wish we included the tomatoes and mushrooms more often.
English breakfast is an acquired taste. and sometimes I still feel like I'm acquiring a taste to certain parts of it.

1 comment:

  1. Steph, Good discussion of the English breakfast and all its components. Good description of the Irish bacon and details of the many different items in the breakfast. Good comparison between the English and American breakfast.

    ReplyDelete