Thursday, February 22, 2018

People Roll Their Windows Down Here

Everything in Ireland is about leisure. No one walks as fast as Americans do. I think when we walk through the streets of Cork, everyone know's we're from America because we do everything faster, and everything is a race. but I think the question that Cork has made me ask myself is: A race to where? and what's the prize?
As I walk through the city of Cork, and pass other people, I notice their contentment. An old lady, walking with her husband. A group of friends laughing loudly. A couple holding hands. No one rushing to work. No one honks. People in Cork enjoy the company of one another. 
I walk into the bookstore to find a quiet that I seem to find in all  book sanctuaries, but smiles are still passed between people. Whispered help is offered instantly by friendly faces. Somehow, kindness seems to be placed into every inch of this place. Even places where words aren't necessary.
The English Market is still one of my favorite places in Cork. The atmosphere of it is completely different from anything you'd expect in the states, and the people are even more different. The grocery store is a chore. One we hate doing in America. It's something that gets in the way of us doing something else or getting closer to that "finish line". But here people enjoy it. It's a social event. Families buy their produce together, and meet up with other families. People get food before getting their groceries for the week. It's time spent doing what's necessary  but while feeling happy about it.
I'll stop to get bread while in the english market, and people will dig into there wallets and hope to find change for the $2.50 loaf of bread. It's freshly made, and it's a mess of people leaning against a counter like a bar hoping to get the attention of the seller first. 
Life is lived differently here. People take the time to stop and talk to one another. It's not a race to the finish line, in fact, I don't believe a finish line exists here. Life isn't a competition, and its something that I've come to admire.Something I even want. We've always been pushed; push to do more, and be more that I haven't taken the time to stop and enjoy this life fully. While in Cork, I've been given an example of how life should be lived. The University is a 25 minute walk, and usually I can do it in less, but I've found myself slowing down. Looking around more. Hoping to live more like the Irish do. 





1 comment:

  1. Steph, Good discussion of the content life of those in Cork. Good description of how their pace is different from those in the U.S. Also, good job of describing what you admire about this pace and this lifestyle you have observed in Cork.

    ReplyDelete